WHAT IS TO BE CONSIDERED:
- The Spring Ball will evoke competition as UAB returns from the 2022 roster just four starters on offense and five on defense.
- The offensive line is a blank slate with all five starters from last year, who combined for 135 starts during their UAB careers, gone. center Brady Wilson and tackle Trey Bedosky return the most experience. Wilson started in seven games last season, but four came as an extra lineman in UAB’s jumbo package and three came at center Will Rykard out of. Bedosky has started two career games.
- Despite the losses on the offensive Quez Yates, Eli Richey, Zaire Flournoy And Tater Reid All return with game experience while Tennessee transfers WillParkerNorthwest Mississippi JUCO product Jalen nettles and Coffeyville product Christian Jackson prove what they can do in spring training.
- UAB lost the nation’s leading rusher as DeWayne McBride drafted for the NFL but his backfield buddy Jermaine Brown Jr. is entering his final season at UAB with 2,275 career rushing yards and a career-best rushing yards record of 948 yards and eight touchdowns last season.
- Brown’s 2,275 career rushing yards currently ranks UAB eighth all-time, and he’s also dangerous on kickoff returns and pass-catching from the backfield. With 3,476 career all-arounds, Brown Jr. is seventh all-time at UAB in that category.
- Quarterback competition is something to keep an eye on as Dilfer will be scouting for a potential starter throughout the spring. Jacob Zeno is the only returning quarterback to take a live snap at UAB while Louisiana Tech is trading Landry Lydy and transferred to Ole Miss Trace Campbell were added to the list. returnees Damon Stewart And Harrison Barkeralong with newbie Carter Putt round out the QB room.
- Tejhaun Palmer is the team’s leading returning receiver with 30 catches for 479 yards a season ago. Samario Rudolph, TJ Jones And Fred Farrier II All are returning after playing a big role on offense last year while it ended close Bryce Damous And Terrell McDonald were co-starters last year and will both be back for 2023.
- Defensively, the Blazers bring back five starters but lost a host of key contributors, including the middle linebacker Noah Wilder who graduated with the third-most career tackles (339) in school history.
- Front both NT Fish McWilliams and DE Michael Fairbanks II Returning after all 13 games last year. McWilliams was a second-team All-Conference USA selection while Fairbanks II was the Bahamas Bowl defensive MVP. Although he wasn’t technically a starter last year, Drawn Tuazama led the team in sacks (6) and is poised for a breakout year in 2023.
- Dilfer will be looking for linebackers to show up when the aforementioned Wilder is gone, as well as the team’s second- and fourth-best tacklers from a season ago TylerTaylor And Reinhard Ellis.
- Jaylen key, Keondre Swoopes And MacMcWilliams Secondary Anchors and Losses of Veterans Grayson Cash, Will Böler, Starling Thomas V And Devodric Bynum Open up playtime for new faces.
- Matt Quinn is entering his fourth season as UAB’s starting kicker and has achieved 36 of 47 FG (.766) and 125 of 127 PAT (.984) in his career.
- Five year beginning punter Kyle Greenwell is gone, and the spring competition will be broadcast between Arkansas Patrick Foley and returnees Caden long.
UAB will hold 15 practices this spring, including the Spring Game at Protective Stadium, scheduled for Thursday, April 6 at 6 p.m
Season tickets for the 2023 UAB soccer season start at just $99. Season ticket packages include all six home games during UAB’s inaugural season in the American Athletic Conference and offer the most cost-effective way to attend games at Protective Stadium. For more information on season ticket prices, contact the UAB Athletics Ticket Office at (205) 975-UAB1. Fans can renew season tickets, buy new season tickets or request more information.
Fans who renew or purchase their new season tickets prior to April 1, 2023, UAB Football Priority Seat will be assigned a seat selection appointment. Football season ticket holders have the option to upgrade their seat position or keep their previous year’s seats during the seat selection and transfer process. Additional seating and parking may also be added at this time for the 2023 season. An overview of the timing of the 2023 season ticket sale can be found here.