|BAYLOR BEARS (2-6, 0-0 Big 12)
Location: Waco, Texas
Conference/Membership: big 12
head coach: Mitch Thompson (Fort Hays Street, 1988)
Roster | Statistics | Game Notes (PDF)
|BAYLOR (2-6, 0-0) vs YOUNGSTOWN STATE (1-7, 0-0)
Mar 3, 2023 • 6:30pm CT
March 4, 2023 • 2:00 pm CT (Game One)
March 4, 2023 • TBD (Game 2)
March 5, 2023 • 1:00 PM CT
Waco, Texas • Baylor Stadium (5,000)
LIVE STATISTICS: BaylorStats.com
|YOUNGSTOWN STATE PENGUINS (1-7, 0-0 horizon)
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Conference/Membership: horizon league
head coach: Dan Bertolini (Mercyhurst, 2008)
Roster | Statistics | Game Notes (PDF)
• Baylor Baseball extends its 14-game homestand this weekend with a four-game streak against Youngstown State. The home stretch lasts until March 24 when the Bears take on Oklahoma State in week two of the Big 12 in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
• The Bears have eclipsed double-digit strikeouts on the mound in six of their eight games this season.
• Baylor goes into the weekend second in the Big 12 with 85 strikeouts
• The Bears are celebrating their 25th season at Baylor Ballpark with a special logo and planned promotions throughout the 2023 season.
• Eighteen of the Bears’ first 21 games this season are home games. The Bears leave Texas only three times this year, all before April 3 (in Duke, Oklahoma, in Kansas).
• Baylor is bringing back just 15 players from its 2022 squad and welcoming 23 newcomers, including 10 true newcomers and 13 transfers.
• Nine of the 13 transfers have previous Division I experience Austin Stracener, Jäger Teplanszky, Daniel Altman, Cole Posey, Will Pendergrass, Casey Sunseri, Cole Tremain, John Ceccoli And gab craig.
SPOTS OF LIGHT
• Second year RHP Maurer Marriott has had his career-best outing after notching a personal best seven strikeouts in his career 4.2 innings at Duke on Sunday, February 26.
• Marriott leads the Big 12 with 13.50 K/9 (strikeouts per nine innings).
• Junior RHP Will Rigney back in action for the first time in over 10 months after suffering a season-ending shoulder injury last year. He threw a scoreless inning and hit two Blue Devils on Friday, February 24.
• Newcomer INF Kolby branch got off to a hot start, leading the team with 11 hits, 10 RBIs and a .567 slugging percentage.
• From junior LHP/OF Kobe Andrades seven hits this season, six going for extra bases (three doubles, two triples, one home run). His only single came on a drag bun against Duke.
• Last Tuesday against HCU, Branch and Redshirt Freshman OF Gavin Brzozowski combined to race in 10 of BU’s 11 heats. The pair had six hits together, including two home runs, one of which was a grand slam off the bat by Branch.
• The Bears set a modern program record (since 2000) with 38 strikeouts in their three-game streak against CMU to open the year.
• A total of 20 Bears have made their Baylor debut so far in 2023, including eight newcomers.
SERIES STORY VS YOUNGSTOWN STATE
• This will be the first meeting between Baylor and Youngstown State.
• The Bears are 1-0 all-time against teams from the Horizon League after beating Wright State in an elimination game at the 2018 Stanford Regional.
• Friday, March 3 • 6:30 p.m. • RHP Blake Helton (0-1, 14.14 ERA) vs. RHP Travis Perry (1-0, 5.73 ERA)
• Saturday, March 4th • 2:00 p.m. • RHP Maurer Marriott (0-1, 6.23 ERA) vs. RHP Nick Perez (0-2, 10.00 ERA)
• Saturday March 4th • TBD • LHP Cam Caley (0-2, 11.57 ERA) v RHP Brandon Mikos (0-2, 9.90 ERA)
• Sunday, March 5 • 1:00 p.m. • open vs TBD
• Friday’s game will be broadcast on ESPN+’s Big 12 Now, with Kurtis Quillin (play-by-play) and ex-Bear Richard Cunningham (analyst) on the phone.
• Fans can also tune in to Baylor’s home radio show with Derek Smith and Ryan Boyd on the phone.
MAKING BANANA PANCAKES
• Baylor and Youngstown State both have a redshirt freshman named JackJohnson on their rosters.
• YSU’s Johnson hails from Katy, Texas, the Penguins’ only player from the Lone Star State.
• Baylor’s Johnson hails from Thousand Oaks, California.
• BU’s Johnson provided the walk-off hit in the opening day thriller about Central Michigan, the first hit of his collegiate career.
For the latest Baylor baseball updates, follow the team on their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.